BT Total Broadband Information and Advice
Information on BT Total Broadband, what the Internet service offers, plus some help and advice.
What does BT Total Broadband offer?
BT is the largest provider of broadband in the UK. In recent years, BT's focus has switched from offering a basic home broadband service, to offering a rounded package of broadband, phone and digital TV services.
BT Total Broadband offers several packages, starting with a basic package that has a fixed monthly download allowance, right up to super-fast 38 Meg packages and combined Internet-TV-phone-mobile packages.
BT is currently offering a range of extras to encourage people to make the switch to Broadband:
BT's high-speed wireless Home Hub
YouView from BT - home digital TV service
Optional Mobile Broadband dongle for your laptop
McAfee® Anti-virus, Firewall and anti-spyware
- Free wi-fi router: Get the faster "N" BT Home Hub for free
- Digital TV: YouView from BT combines a hard-disk recorder with on demand films, TV shows and sport
- Free Secure Storage: Keep your data safe with 5 Gig of Digital Vault secure storage
- Free Mobile wi-fi: Inclusive Wi-fi minutes from on BT Wi-fi, plus access to BT Fon
- Free Security Protection: Anti-phishing, Spam filter, Anti-virus and Firewall
- Email: Multiple btinternet.com email addresses
- Mobile Broadband Dongle: Option to add a USB modem for your laptop
- Free Technical Support: Broadband help on an 0800 number
BT Total Broadband pricing:
More details at www.bt.com/btbroadband
Value for money?
BT's current "big push" is offering value-add services, such as online security, the BT Home Hub and the BT Vision TV service, showing that BT offers better value for money than the slightly lower-priced Broadband Advice offerings from the likes of TalkTalk and Sky.
Here are their key selling points:
- BT Home Hub: This is key to BT's current broadband offering, as it provides broadband access, wi-fi connectivity, and support for services such as BT Vision (TV-over-Internet), BT Fon, video calling and more. At present, BT is giving away the Home Hub for free.
- YouView from BT: BT Broadband customers can get YouView with BT Vision. As well as offering over 35 live TV channels, this is a powerful TV recorder that lets you watch content on your telly via the Internet. Content includes films from its vast library, Barclays Premier League games and a wide range of TV shows. The YouView box also pauses live TV and allows you to record up to 80 hours of programmes. More at btvision.bt.com
- Security: All of BT's Broadband packages come with a range of extras to help protect your PC and your family against identity theft, spam, email viruses, pop-ups, hackers - and help ensure your children can enjoy the internet in a safe way. Get faster, safer internet access with download speeds of up to 20Mb and improved online security.
To check out the benefits and see if you can switch, go to www.bt.com/btbroadband
|Can I get Broadband from BT?||
If you're looking to get BT Total Broadband, you need to see if BT can offer it to your home via your telephone exchange.
Use the BT Line Checker to find out what speed you should get - enter your phone number and postcode at the speedchecker: bt.com/btbroadband - this check will identify if you already have broadband. If not, you'll get an estimate of your top speed if you were to sign up with BT Total Broadband.
|How do I get an account?||You
can sign up for a BT Total Broadband account at www.bt.com/btbroadband/
|BT Technical Support||
Unlike many UK broadband providers, BT offers a free technical support helpline. If you're with BT and need technical help, call 0800 111 4567 , 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
In July 2009, BT announced that they would be bringing their call centres back to the UK after using call centres in India.
|BT Broadband settings||
Here's some information that may be of use to help with your BT Total Broadband connectivity setting, including BT's POP3 and SMTP server addresses:
Screenshot of BT email server information entered into Outlook 2003:
More info on our Setting up Outlook e-mail page
|Problems sending email?||
If you find that you're able to receive emails, but you're having problems sending email from your BT Total Broadband account, there are two things you need to check:
|BT Broadband and the Home Hub||
|Wireless Home Broadband?||
If you have BT Broadband at home, you may want to go wireless. The BT Home Hub supports wireless, and if your PC or laptop already supports wireless, then you're good to go. See our Wi-fi Explained page for help.
Not got wireless on your laptop or PC? Then you'll need a wi-fi USB dongle, such as the Belkin WiFi USB. The one pictured here supports the newer 802.11N standard and is easy to set up. We have a page of information on how to get wireless Internet at home
If you're having problems with BT Broadband, first off, check that their services are running
correctly at their Service Status page. Check the BT Total Broadband status page for info on any problems with BT Broadband, or local exchanges.
Having problems with Broadband? See our Broadband Problems section
|Extra email addresses||
By default, with your BT Broadband account, you will be set up with an BT email address. This will be in the format email@example.com.
With BT Broadband, you can have up to eleven different email addresses. If you want to create another email address, go to www.btyahoo.com, sign in with your BT Internet email addresses, go to "My account" and select "Manage Sub Accounts".
Having problems with Broadband? See our Broadband Problems section
If you want to check the speed of your BT Broadband connection, you can use BT's Speedchecker Go to www.speedtester.bt.com . To get to the detailed results, you'll need to enter a username, which is bthomehub.
If you use an Apple Mac, you can use BT Broadband. The BT Home Hub connects to your home phone line, and allows you to connect using a wired Ethernet connection or a wi-fi connection.
You don't need any special software installed to use the BT Home Hub or your BT Broadband connection. You can manage the BT Home Hub's software via a web browser.
|Videocalling with BT||
In 2006, BT introduced video calling over BT Broadband. The service uses BT Broadband Talk, which offers voice calling over Broadband (for cheaper calls). Broadband Talk also supports videocalling, either with BT's Softphone application (on a PC), or one of BT's range of videophones.
|Check mail online||
BT Total Broadband customers can access their email via the webmail service.
|Broadband but no Internet||
Details of a problem we experienced, in case it's of use to anyone else. The fault:
From what we could tell, it looked like we were getting a connection to the exchange, as the Broadband light was on, but no Internet connection. After phoning BT, we were told to log onto the Home Hub software, go to Advanced, then to Internet. This showed us as 'Disconnected'. The instruction was to overtype the username with 'bt_test_user@startup_domain' (blank password) and try to connect. This connection worked. We then were told to enter 'firstname.lastname@example.org' (blank password) to get back to normal. Seemed to solve our problem. BT said it was a username authentication issue.
Got a question?
Thinking of getting BT Broadband, and have a question? Contact us
Useful BT Broadband information
- BT Total Broadband site: www.bt.com/btbroadband
- BT Broadband service status report: Call 0800 169 0199 or check here
- BT Broadband faults: 0800 111 4567
- Technical Support helpdesk: 0800 111 4567. Alternatively, submit online request via BT Support
- Broadband technical support: email@example.com
- Billing / Customer Services: 0800 633 5335 between 8am and midnight.
- Check if Broadband's available in your area at www.bt.com/broadband
- For details on the benefits of Broadband access, see our dedicated Broadband page.
- Need help with getting your mail? Try our Email Settings
- Broadband Not Working? - Our page of advice on connection and speed problems
- Got a question about UK Broadband? Try our Broadband FAQ
- Nintendo help... Need help getting a Nintendo console online? Wii Connectivity and DSi connectivity
- Want to save on your BT bill? Consider a BT Credit Card for money off your BT broadband bill
questions on BT Broadband? Please ask in our networking