Top Links

Compare Plusnet
Broadband Information Broadband F.A.Q Broadband Problems
Mobile Internet Email Settings Get a Website Internet Hosting
Broadband Help Forum Glossary

Receive the latest updates direct to your inbox

FileSaveAs News Feed Follow FileSaveAs on Twitter FileSaveAs Tech Podcast
FrequencyCast UK Tech Podcast

Plusnet from Yorkshire

Plusnet Broadband Information and Advice

Here, you'll find information on the low-cost broadband service from Plusnet... This Internet firm that offers good honest broadband from Yorkshire.


Plusnet LogoWhat does Plusnet offer?

Plusnet, based in Sheffield, has been around for over ten years, and is now owned by BT. Plusnet offers low-cost broadband (without the frills found on more expensive packages from the likes of BT and Virgin), and boasts a friendly call centre based here in the UK.

Recently, they have been awarded the ISPA Best Customer Service and uSwitch's Best Technical Support awards

If you're looking for low-cost home broadband with great tech support, Plusnet is certainly the service to consider.

Low cost UK broadband from Plusnet


Plusnet's Packages:

Prices start from £6.49 a month, but the price you pay depends on whether you're in what Plusnet refer to as a 'low-cost area'. Around 80% of the UK is in a low-cost area - the other 20% are in areas where there's less competition, so Plusnet can't get such a good deal on wholesale broadband. To check whether you're in a low-cost area, use the Plusnet Broadband Comparison tool

Top selling points:

  • Unlimited overnight use (midnight to 8am use won't eat into your monthly allowance)
  • 24/7 award-winning UK tech support (0845 number)
  • No need to be tied to a 12 month contract
Plusnet Value
  • From £6.49 a month
  • Speed: Up to 16 Meg
  • 10 Gig monthly allowance (Unlimited overnight use!)
  • Free wi-fi router
  • £25 connection (free if you get their phone service)
Sign Up Now Switch to BT
Plusnet Extra
  • From £11.49 a month
  • Speed: Up to 16 Meg
  • 60 Gig a month usage (Unlimited overnight use!)
  • Free wi-fi router
  • £25 connection (free if you get their phone service)
Sign Up Now Switch to BT

Pro and business tariffs are also available - See the Plusnet website

Listen to the FrequencyCast UK online radio show
FrequencyCast Podcast IconPODCAST FEATURE: We looked closely at Broadband in Show 58 of our online tech radio show.
Listen to the show online, or download it to your MP3 player.

Listen to Show 58 | What is FrequencyCast? | Add us to iTunes


Plusnet Broadband Router

What router do you get with Plusnet? At the time of writing, Plusnet supply the Thomson Gateway 585v7 4 port Wireless Router as standard. They've been supplying this model since September 2008. Although not the most exciting or advanced router out there, it will do the job of providing wireless or wired Internet coverage around the average house. Here's a photo of the Thomson 585v7 router:

Thomson 585 Wireless Broadband Router
Thomson 585 Wireless Broadband Router

Basic specification for the Thomson 585v7 Router:

  • 4 x RJ45 Ethernet ports
  • Wi-fi (802.11b/g)
  • Supports WPA-PSK / WEP encryption
  • Built-in firewall
  • Web browser management (see screenshot of interface below)

Thomson 585 Wireless Broadband Router Interface Screen
Thomson 585 Wireless Broadband Router Interface Screen


Plusnet Frequently Asked Questions


Got a question?

Thinking of getting Plusnet and have a question? Contact us


Useful Plusnet Information

  • Plusnet Official site:
  • Plusnet Service Status report: check here
  • Technical Support helpdesk: 0845 140 0200 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
  • Broadband faults: 0845 140 0080 (24 hours, 7 days a week)


Broadband links

Any questions on Plusnet Broadband? Please ask in our networking forum

Bookmark this page:

delicious digg stumble technorati facebook