FileSaveAs Site
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

FileSaveAs Main Site FileSaveAs UK News Feed Follow FileSaveAs on Twitter Our Podcast Our Podcast on iTunes
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Techno-idiot Needs Advice PLEASE! (Read 9731 times)
hecate

FileSaveAs UK Supporter

Techno-idiot Needs Advice PLEASE!
Feb 9th, 2008 at 12:03am

Hi,
I have just switched from BT Broadband to TalkTalk-

I was wondering whether it is possible to use my BT Home Hub to go wireless on my TalkTalk BroadBand connection and if so, how?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just i prefer to recycle and not create more landfill by buying another plastic box! :- :-

IP Logged

Admin
FileSaveAs Administrator

FileSaveAs Admin

London, UK
Re: Techno-idiot Needs Advice PLEASE!
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 8:59am

FileSaveAs UK: Follow us on Twitter or listen to our Podcast

IP Logged

Jarviser
Guru

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 10:27am

You can use it indirectly if you have no wifi on the Talk-Talk modem...

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html

Three Mobile 3G, Huawei e586 MiFi, Macbook Pro  - Haven't got ADSL any more so working from memory.

IP Logged

Bramshot
Guru

Watch this space

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 1:28pm

Intersetingly, I just tried the following (with 6.2.6.c)

I disconnected using the button on the manager home page, then went to basic config > internet, and it allowed me to change the username to broadband.user@btinternet.com, and it still works.

The new username now appears upon the home page.

So maybe it can be changed after all.

However, shouldn't it be @ btbroadband.com?

And nowI can't remember what it was originally (bthomehub@btbroadband.com?), can some one remind me as I'd like to set it back!

Now on Infinity / V3 and no problems with comps including macs, iPhones, iPads,apple tv etc it's wonderful!

IP Logged

Jarviser
Guru

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 1:36pm

yes         bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Some BT guy recently said it can be "Fred" and still work. Never tried it though.

Three Mobile 3G, Huawei e586 MiFi, Macbook Pro  - Haven't got ADSL any more so working from memory.

IP Logged

Bramshot
Guru

Watch this space

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 2:22pm

Ah - not quite

In a reckless moment I tried 'fred' and it doen't stick, it works, but the homepage stays as it was previously.

Now on Infinity / V3 and no problems with comps including macs, iPhones, iPads,apple tv etc it's wonderful!

IP Logged

gilbs

Devon
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 11:17pm

Hi, hecate, as someone who has gone the other way, i.e. from TalkTalk to BT, I'm wondering why you've switched.  I know BT isn't exactly fault free, but it usually works.  Sure, TalkTalk is cheap, but I found it so bad I quit within the 30 day free trial (but only by being unnaturally devious and  extremely persistent) And I'm not really the complaining type. Be afraid, be very afraid.

IP Logged

gramparsons

FileSaveAs UK Supporter

hampshire
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 8:32pm

its still  bt openreach that does the maintenance and fault repair

home hub with adsl frontplate !!! del pc ,ipod,fuji camera...can you guess what i do yet ???

IP Logged

Jarviser
Guru

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 9:05pm

hecate, advice to newbie - when you get one or more answers, it's polite to respond.

IP Logged

hecate

FileSaveAs UK Supporter

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:30pm

Hi,
Thanks to Jarviser for the tactful prompt.

Sorry if i appeared rude, have been slightly preoccupied with dodging insults and other such from my other half who is enraged by the lack of wireless access. (it's all my fault for switching ISP without realising we would not still be able to use the wireless hub.)

I really am very grateful for all the advice from everybody....unfortunately it seems the solution is rather more technical than i am capable of. Looks like I'll be going back to BT with my cap in hand and the phrase 'I told you so' ringing in my ears.

Many thanks again,
hecate

IP Logged

Jarviser
Guru

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 11:11pm

hecate wrote on Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:30pm:
....unfortunately it seems the solution is rather more technical than i am capable of...
hecate

I'd better take a look at the article again! It was supposed to be written for a non-techie to follow.

Thanks for coming back anyway.

IP Logged

hecate

FileSaveAs UK Supporter

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 11:18pm

The article seems to be very comprehensive, and I don't doubt that the method works, but it does assume that the reader has some idea of what things like these are:  'Wired Ethernet Switch', WPA, PSK, WEP, (I've twigged ISP!)
I've never 'accessed' hard/firm/software before- I was born too soon!
Perhaps you thought I was exaggerating when I used the term 'Techno-Idiot'?!!

I shall do some research and am sure that all will all become clearer.

Thank you very much once again.

IP Logged

Tarquin G Loombreaker-Smythe
Guru

TGL-S 100% British Monkey
Hanger.Now with Virgin
M

Reading Berks
Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 9:46am

H we are I think on the whole elderly gents so you are in good company I have a problem I hate acronyms I use this all the time check it out http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=A

IP Logged

Jarviser
Guru

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 10:07am

WPA is not an acronym it's a TLA  Wink

I'll have to consider wriring a version specially for "Complete and Utter Non Technicals" as we used to refer to some customers, with straight instructions and no jargon or interesting asides.
  If you followed the actual instructions like a recipe and take no notice of the Three Letter Acronyms  and additional information it would get She Who Must Be Obeyed up and running on wireless in 30 minutes.

Let me know what you type in to get to the admin pages of the TalkTalk modem, or if you don't know, tell me the make/model of your TalkTalk modem and I'll sort you out a special version of the recipe assuming I can Google the modem to get the required Internet Protocol address range.

IP Logged

Tarquin G Loombreaker-Smythe
Guru

TGL-S 100% British Monkey
Hanger.Now with Virgin
M

Reading Berks
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 5:00pm

TPAE  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3